Sunday, June 24, 2007

Backing up your blog: here are two options

We may assume that the contents of our blogs are safe way up there in "the cloud."  Google's recent problems with lost email, however, demonstrate that things aren't always what they seem.  A year or so ago the hosting company I use for a couple of websites upgraded their servers.  Shazaam....all my data was gone (fortunately, most of it was backed up locally).

Given that, here are a couple of options for backing up your blog.

1. BlogBackupOnline is a service that backups up your blog to another place in the cloud.  It's automatic, set and forget.  I've been using it for quite a while.  In fact, it's so simple I forgot I was "using it."  It's in Beta right now, and free at least while the beta lasts.

image

2. If you're a blogger user you may want to consider Blogger Backup, mentioned on DownloadSquad on Friday.   Blogger Backup backs up your entries to your computer.  It only works with Blogger at this point, but all your data is saved "safely" on your local drive.

Either way, it's probably a good idea to have some sort of backup solution for your blog.  You've spent too many hours for it just to...shazaam...disappear.  If you know of other backup options please let me know.

 

Technorati tags:

3 comments:

Steve K. said...

Hey Jeff,

For folks using WordPress, the WordPress Database Backup plugin is essential:
http://ilfilosofo.com/blog/wp-db-backup

Thanks for doing this blog. Great stuff!

Shalom,
Steve K.

Anonymous said...

May I also suggest Strongspace from the good folks at Joyent. I think it's good to have both local and remote backups. I've never had a server go down, but I have lost significant amounts of data while switching hosts.

Jeff said...

Great! Thanks for the other suggestions guys.