Tuesday, April 18, 2006

On guys secrets of success

Michael Hyatt, the CEO of Thomas Nelson Publishers, recently wrote about one of the secrets of his success.  His answer may surprise you! 

I'm not sure I could boil it down to one thing. Life isn’t usually that simple. But if I really, really had to boil it down to one thing, I would say this: responsiveness. So many people I meet are unresponsive. They don’t return their phone calls promptly. They don’t answer their emails quickly. They don’t complete their assignments on time. They promise to do something and never follow through. They have to be reminded, prodded, and nagged. This behavior creates work for everyone else and eats into their own productivity. Sadly, they seem oblivious to it.

Read the whole post, it is worth your while.  This quote really struck a cord with me because it’s one thing I’m striving for.  I want to be the kind of person my peers and superiors can count on.  If I say I’m going to do X by Y, I want to nail it every time.  Mostly I don’t.

 

On the other hand, responsiveness has a less positive side.  Face it, people have different sets of expectations for different people.  Responsive people create higher expectations for themselves and other people, responsive or not, hold them to those high, self-created  expectations.   If you answer every email within twenty-hours, people may be irritated with you if you fail to answer theirs within 48 hours…regardless of how long it they take to answer email.  Oh well, that’s life.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Wow - that is so motivating. I am very responsive to my clients most of the time, but ohhhhh the sense of failure when I am not. And my husband would appreciate it if I treated him more like I treat my clients! :-)

Kinda goes with the saying to focus less on ability and more on availability.

Thanks, great post.

Jeff said...

Beth, thanks for the visit and the comment. The challenge it to act out of our own sense of personal excellence and not our own sense of people-pleasing. I don't think I've wrestled that one donwn yet :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting thoughts, especially your last paragraph there. I guess it's just hard to be consistent. Surely being responsive is 90% just showing respect for people. But if you're inundated with emails, it's not (always) your fault...