Chris Pratley has posted that Onenote 12 beta has been released. I’ve been included in the beta test of it, and I can’t tell you how happy I am about that!! It’s got a lot of great, new features (which Chris mentions below). I’m under a non-disclosure agreement, so I can’t talk about it, but so far I’m loving it. If you’ve ever wondered whether Onenote is right for you, you’re going to love Onenote 12!
Beta 1 of "OneNote 12" (and "Office12") is now available for download for those people who are signed up (you know who you are). This is not a public beta so if you're not already on the beta you are not going to be able to see it. Sorry. If you want to play with pre-release OneNote you'll have another chance in the Spring when we release Beta 2, also called the "preview" release. That release will be much more suitable for people who are not inclined to risk data, crashes, etc. You can register to get the preview here (click "Register Now"). There's more general Office 12 info at that site too, including an RSS feed.
Now, to people who have Beta 1, hold on to your hats.
As has been mentioned in various blog posts, check out a bunch of new capabilities:
1. Multiple notebooks
2. Shared notebooks (multi-user, online/offline no holds barred rich "wiki-like" experience)
3. Sync notebooks between your multiple machines (same as #2 but with yourself only)
4. Hyperlinks between and into/out of notes
5. Instant search
7. Embedded documents
8. Drag and drop of sections, pages, folders, notebooks
9. All images made searchable and indexed using OCR (if they have text in them)
10. Print documents to OneNote from any application - and these are indexed and searchable too.
11. New ink model (oops - forgot to blog about this one!). Lasso tool, drawing tools, etc.
12. Save as PDF (and "XPS")
13. Live sync of task status with Outlook12 (forgot this one too!)
14. Extensibility (more to come on this)