If you're traveling after Jan 1st, you should be aware of new TSA guidelines on the your spare laptop batteries. TSA guidelines now stipulate that
- You may not pack spare lithium batteries in checked luggage
- You may pack devices with installed lithium batteries in checked luggage
- You may carry spare lithium batteries in carry-on luggage
- You may bring lithium batteries installed in a device
- You can bring lithium ion batteries installed in a device that are up to 8 grams of equivalent lithium content
- You can bring up to two spare lithium ion batteries with an aggregate of 25 grams of equivalent lithium content.
- Lithium metal batteries, whether installed or carried as spares, are limited to 2 grams of lithium each.
I took this from Web Worker Daily and some comments are pretty funny. One commenter was re-screened three times as TSA personnel resolutely tried to figure out what the plastic box in his carry on was (it was his laptop charger) :) Who knows how they'll figure out how many grams of lithium you have on you!